Recent Storm Damage Posts
Rain rain go away!
SERVPRO of Flower Mound technician extracting standing water from a residence in Allen, Tx.
There was a large storm that came through the DFW area which caused a lot of damage to homes and businesses.
This home in Allen, Tx received quite a bit of water damage that affected multiple rooms. They knew to call SERVPRO in their time of need and our crew was onsite fast in order to avoid secondary damage. One of our technicians is shown here extracting water from the carpet in one of the bedrooms. It's extremely important to remove as much standing water as possible as quickly as possible in order to restore items instead of replacing them.
Once the standing water was removed we were able to float and dry the carpet in order to relay it. This not only keeps costs low but it also reduces interruption for the customer.
Water Damage Timeline
Storms cause water damage
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
DID YOU KNOW? (storm)
While thunder won't hurt you-lightning will!
Being a restoration company you will often hear of the doom and gloom associated with storms. But when properly prepared for storms can be really interesting!
Here are a few fun storm facts:
- In order for there to be a thunder storm you need three things
- Moisture (to make the clouds and the rain)
- Unstable air (usually warm air that can rise rapidly)
- Lift (something able to lift the air, such as fronts, mountains or sea breezes)
- At any one moment there are nearly 1.800 thunderstorms occurring
- The lightning produced from thunderstorms kill more people each year than tornadoes do
- By counting the seconds between the flash of lightning and the clap of thunder you can estimate how many miles away a storm is!
Home in Grapevine serviced after a storm causes water damage
Moisture readings at a home in Grapevine
Here SERVPRO of Flower Mound and a fellow franchise teamed up to perform the restoration services on a structure in Grapevine. One team began extraction of the water immediately while another team started bringing in equipment and staging for the dry out. Having such a large family of SERVPRO’s means that there is always a helping hand around when you need it.
After just a few days the structure was dry and the flooring contractors were able to get in and perform their work. SERVPRO of Flower Mound is proud to work with other SERVPRO franchises to help take care of our customers!
If your home or business experiences a water damage give SERVPRO of Flower Mound a call as soon as possible! 972-420-4771
Is your home storm ready?
As restoration professionals we often see the outcome of a home that wasn’t storm ready and in light of the billowing storm clouds outside of our office window I believe this is a perfect time to reach out with some helpful reminders!
- Let everyone in your home know what the plan is in the event of a storm, knowledge is power.
- Have furniture placed away from doorways so exit points aren’t blocked and have items arranged so that you could live on a single floor if need be. Think of warm clothing, blankets and whatever else you may need close at hand.
- Delicate items and those of value should be kept off of walls or shelves and placed in safe places, especially during storm season.
- Make sure you have insurance with details and a hard copy easily accessible, it’s a sad truth that many people don’t have as much coverage as they need when a catastrophe strikes.
It’s always sad to talk about the what-if’s involved with emergency storm situations, but being prepared is one way you can assure your life will get back to normal as quickly as possible.
Local church faces water damage after severe storm hits
Removing the cove base after a water damage
A storm is rolling in and 80 mph winds are knocking at your door, is your home ready for the potential beating? A local church faced this very dilemma and wound up with flooding throughout the majority of their building. Thankfully it was minor and SERVPRO® of Flower Mound was out there at midnight when the call came in. Being a 24 hour emergency company means that that’s just what we do. We come when you need us, because mitigating the damage in a timely manner is a singular factor that plays a huge roll.
Have you had storm or flood damage? Call us today at (972)420-4771! Visit SERVPRO® of Flower Mound on Facebook or Instagram to learn more about our team and the jobs we do!
NCEI reports over $300 billion of loss in TX
A lot of damage requires a lot of equipment, and that we have.
Over the last year the National Centers for Environmental Information reported over three hundred billion dollars of loss caused by disasters in Texas. While the enormity of the number speaks volumes on its own, it is important to remember that it is not just a number. It is people. That number reflects your neighbors, your friends and your family. The number is pulling money out of the family vacation fund or sleeping in a hotel for however long it takes get a home back together.
SERVPRO® of Flower Mound knows this which is why we take each call personally. With a contact time averaging under 3 minutes our family here at SERVPRO® of Flower Mound wants you to know we are doing what it takes to make it “Like it never even happened.” as fast as we can.