What should you do after a fire?
Your family is safe, all pets and stuffed animals included, now what? Here are easy tips to remember for AFTER a fire:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Knowledge is power and becoming familiar with what you should and shouldn’t do ensures that when a disaster does strike your family will be able to recover quickly.